Friday, August 10, 2007

We're truly in Shangri-La!

Our hotel in Xi'an is the best hotel we've ever stayed in! Its so nice and clean, really wonderful after a night at a not-so-great hotel and a night on the train.

This morning we visited the Big Wild Goose Pagoda - it was built during the Tang Dynasty, but there are lots of gardens and newer buildings around it. It was really nice.


After lunch, we went to the Xi'an city wall. The wall is a 3 km x 4 km rectangle that surrounds the centre of the city. It was also built during the Tang Dynasty and was very interesting to see.


The girls went swimming this afternoon while I attempted to re-organize our suitcases - we've accumulated a lot of stuff and we're starting to run out of space! Once we get to Nanchang, I'll be able to prepare half of the donations which will clear out some space. I'm hoping to not have to buy another suitcase this time.

Tonight we went for a dumpling banquet which was totally amazing. There were 16 different types of dumplings brought out to our tables. At first, I was doing a great job of trying each kind, but by about the 10th one, I was starting to lose it. Needless to say, I couldn't try all 16 types, but the ones I did try were really delicious. I think Avery ate the most she's ever eaten on this trip, which I was very glad about. She's been living on rice, noodles and watermelon for the last week.

Tomorrow we finally visit the Terracotta Soldier Museum. Tom's been waiting for this for 9 years (since we came to get Quin in Oct 98), so he's really excited. Will post again tomorrow night since I'm not sure how things will go once we get to Nanchang.

1 comment:

Robert Moore said...

Hi Avery and Quin,

Sounds like you guys are having fun!

Love,
gracie